Friday, September 21, 2012

Ombre Bleach Shorts DIY



In my previous post about DIY Ombre Dye Shorts I mentioned that you could also use the technique with bleach! I tried it on a couple pairs of shorts- here are my instructions & do's and don'ts!

Supplies
-1 pair of denim shorts or cutoffs (the thicker the denim the better)
-plastic tub
-bleach
-vinegar
-a yard stick or pants hanger
-gloves
-Make sure you are doing this outside or in a well ventilated area!

Step One: Take your pair of shorts and run them under water. Don't soak them just make sure they are damp all over. I tried two different pairs of shorts (both found cheap at forever 21).
***I learned that THICKER denim with LESS ELASTIC works the best. The stretchier the shorts- the more elastic and less denim that's in them. Bleach will disintegrate the elastic and you'll be left with some really thin shorts.

Step Two: Fill a bucket with bleach. Prepare a tub of vinegar and water for when you're done bleaching (probably not on carpet like I did).


There are two methods to bleaching your denim 


-Method one: The Perfect Ombre-  hang shorts above bleach with hem submerged (either by hanger or string belt loops on a yard stick to balance on a bucket) Make sure hem is submerged evenly (A hair clip in the middle of the hanger helps shorts hang evenly and not droop in the middle). Now let sit for 20-30 minutes. The bleach will creep up the denim (easily because you pre-wet the denim). This gives a more even ombre effect and turns out in a straight(ish) line.



**This method is recommended for strong denim jeans because they sit in the bleach for so long. I originally tried with a thinner, more elastic pair and though they look awesome- they are super super thin now.

-Method Two: The Splash Dye- hang shorts above bleach with hem submerged (either by hanger or string belt loops on a yard stick to balance on a bucket) Make sure hem is submerged evenly. Let sit for five to ten minutes so that the hem is bleached. Then put on your gloves, pick up scoops of bleach and scrunch it onto the denim. You can pour, dribble, flick, splash- whatever you want on the shorts (be careful of your clothes, skin, and eyes!) This makes for an interesting tie-dye look. My personal fav!

before (I cut off the folded hem too):


 after:

Step Three: Once you have finished dying your shorts place them in a bucket of vinegar & water to stop the bleaching process. Then wash your shorts by themselves!

I should really just be a spokesperson for bleach- I'm obsessed.



 (yes I am wearing my skull cutout tank)

helpful hint for avid bleachers: if you accidentally leave on silver jewelry while bleaching (like I always do) no worries- you haven't ruined it! Take off that dark oxidation by placing the jewelry in non-gel toothpaste. Let it sit for a bit and and then use a toothbrush to remove the oxidation! Toothpaste is amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment