Monday, December 3, 2012

No Crease Hair Ties



These sweet little hair ties popped up a few years ago on places like Birchbox.com and in Sephora. Half way between an elastic band and a ribbon I obviously fell in love- practical AND adorable. The best part is they don't crease or pull your hair and they look cute stacked on your wrist! Now I'm seeing these little guys everywhere in all different colors and patterns but one thing is always the same- they're WAY overpriced. I was accustomed to paying upwards of 6$ for 3 ties.

these really awesome tie-dye ones are from Twistband  (www.thetwistband.com)


Anyone who knows me knows I get obsessive about collecting things (remember silly bands? that was bad) so a few of these ties wouldn't do- I wanted every color possible!! Easiest way to get tons of colors and styles for REALLY cheap? Make them yourself!

You Need:
-Soft 'Fold Over' Elastic- I ordered mine from www.sunshineshoppesupply.com for about 50 cents a yard (a yard makes 4-5 ties)

-scissors

-a ruler

Optional Gifting Supplies:

-Metal ball chain keychains (try etsy.com)
-Paper tags
-Decorative charms, bows, stamps, markers etc.




Step One:
-Measure your wrist around using the elastic and add 2" (ex: My wrist is 7" around so I cut my elastic at 9") You want the ties to fit comfortably on your wrist.
-If you're making the ties as gifts a safe measurement is about 10- 11" total.
-If you don't care that much about precision- just fold a yard long piece in half once and then in half again and cut at the folds- this will give you 4 ties per yard.





Step Two:
-Fold Piece in half (make sure the shiny side is facing outwards), grab the two ends, and tie a knot leaving two little end tails.
-Try the elastic on your wrist. If it is really tight and small, re-tie closer to the end (resulting in smaller tails)
-Trim tails to get rid of fraying edges





Voila! Tons of hair ties for a miniscule percent of the cost!




Step Three:
-To make an adorable gift, gather them in groups of themed colors, put them on a metal ball chain (try Etsy for really cheap ones in bulk), and make an adorable gift tag!


Here are some that I made to send out for the holidays & birthdays! Such a cute little "I'm thinking of you" gift for a friend or relative




2 comments: